Monday, May 07, 2007

Sensus Divinitatis (3)

This week the topic is being "without excuse" as in Romans 1:20.

The Greek word for "without an excuse" is anapologetos only occurs in one other place in the entire New Testament : in Romans 2:1.

It must be significant that the word is repeated in the same context and nowhere else.

Tony Miles, broadcaster on Premier Radio and minister at Wesminter Methodist Chapel gives us HERE a helpful analogy from experience of what being "without excuse" looks like in its negative and positive aspects.

1 comment:

John Piippo said...

{I responded to your comment on my Discovering the Real Jesus blog. Here's my response below. AND... my son was a missionary in Istanbul for 2 years - he returned last summer. I and my wife and other son visited Istanbul in Jan. 2006.}

Hello Celal - sorry I posted this so late. It came through as spam, and I just today saw it and figured out how to de-spam it.

I agree with what you say. I remember when I wrote that sentence that is did not seem clear to me.

I think what I would want to say are things like this, as they relate to my conversion to Christ.

Yes, the sensus divinitatis is not salvific.

The sensus divinitatis is actual.

Which means, for me, I knew there was a God. That is, it was rational for me to believe that, yes, God existed. Plantinga says that if the Chrisitan noetic framework is true, this is the sort of thing we should expect. I, like Plantinga, believe it is true. Thus it is what we should expect, not merely as some intellectual-theoretic thing, but as an experiential reality.

That happened to me. And here the Hebrew idea of "knowing" (yadah - and Abraham knew Sarah) was my experience. And such experience is, on Plantinga, "rational." That's why on my post I write that I "knew" that God existed "primally and experientially."

Thank you for leaving a comment!