1. Approach each critical task with an explicit goal of getting much better at it.
2. As you do the task, focus on what's happening and why you're doing it the way you are.
3. After the task, get feedback on your performance from multiple sources. Make changes in your behaviour as necessary.
4. Continually build mental models of your situation -- your industry, your company, your career. Enlarge the models to encompass more factors.
5. Do these steps regularly, not sporadically. Occasional practice does not work.
Source : Fortune magazine, October 30,2006 page 36